Friday, July 3, 2009

Facing Your Giants


Before I get to my post for the day, just a quick update on the rebuilding of Lockney High School. The masonry folks showed up yesterday to remove the stone work from the entry way to the building. They are going to attempt to wash it and use it on the new building. Looks like they may be about ready to start with demolition once stone is removed.
I have got an old book out that I read last summer. "Facing Your Giants" by Max Lucado is about the story of David. There are some things I want you to think about. Go back to 1 Samuel 17 and read the story about David and Goliath, just going to hit some highlights here.
David, son of Jesse, had 7 older brothers. A sheep herder from Bethlehem. Young and "ruddy" with handsome features. 1 Samuel 13:14 calls David "a man after His own heart". The only person int he whole bible that is referred to in that sense. I want you to stop and think about that for a minute. And if your not familiar with the story, get your bible out and read all of it. David is a lot like me. Seems his faith comes and goes. Has hilltops and valleys. Trying to find that level ground.
And you would think after killing a nine-and-a-half foot tall Philistine with a single smooth stone, knowing that God was with him and would deliver the Philistine to him, would never have the "valleys" in his faith that I do. But, guess what!!! He did! King Saul made several attempts to have him killed, even after making him a son-in-law. Once David figured that out he runs and hides. How many times have I ran and hid?
My point here is, asking myself, how many times have you ran and hid? How many times have you given up on your dreams and laid the excuse off on some weak personal trait? I have most of my life. Not having a dad, not having enough money, hiding behind divorce, hiding in a bottle, hiding behind your past? GUILTY!!! Although, I have never been one to hide in a bottle or illegal drugs, I did hide for a time behind prescription drugs. Paxil, Zoloft, Xanax, all prescribed for me to take care of depression and anxiety. Then I was told that I needed to take these things for the rest of my life! Don't misunderstand me here. All of these drugs have a place. But they are mind numbing. And maybe you have some traumatic events going on in your life that warrants them to get you "past some issues". I know that I took Paxil for 6 years daily. And coming off of it was awful. But now my mind is clear, having to retrain it to "dream" and dream big". Just don't let those "Giants" control your life!
One other thing, we lost a good one yesterday in Quanah. Ruthie Lance was one of those "moms" that we all loved. She always had our best interest at heart. Sweet, kind, and loving. She will be missed!!! Tell my dad "hi" for me Ruthie!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you writing again.
S