Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Just some thoughts

Well, I guess I'm still trying to digest all the happenings of the week. The loss of our high school is weighing heavy on my mind. My prayers are with our kiddos and teachers. Just praying that they are able to put some sort of normalcy back in their days.

I can remember when the Methodist church burned in Quanah when I was a kid. I think it was 1975. I remember going to school that morning and driving by the church. Nothing left but a shell of a building, still smoldering. The building was one of the oldest buildings in Quanah at the time. When you're a kid, everything is big. That building seemed to stand like a skyscraper. I can remember going around that building a couple of days after it burned and picking up lead and glass from the stained glass windows it had. They held church services at the community building there in town for what seemed like an eternity. I think it took around 2 years to get the building built back. The library sits where the Methodist church used to be in Quanah.

Just a few months before I got on the fire department in Lockney, the Baptist church in Floydada burned. They had fire departments from Matador, Lockney, and Ralls there.

What is really cool about all this is how a community comes together after tragedy strikes. I have watched it happen several times. Tornadoes in Lubbock, Vernon and Wichita Falls. The church fires in Quanah and Floydada. The community just comes together, puts all differences aside and rebuilds. I have full confidence in Lockney that this will happen. I love my town!

No comments: