Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Letting go

Why is it we have such a hard time letting go of loved ones, even when we know they are going to a much better place? Paradise. I can't quite get my arms around that. Wondering what it must be like to see paradise? I catch myself wondering that often.

What is paradise? Paradeisos is the Greek word for paradise meaning "a place of blessedness, from the base meaning garden - paradise". As i was driving home today, I spent most of the afternoon thinking about what heaven must look like. I wondered what a dry land cotton farm would look like in heaven. What a pasture must look like and if there is any animals there grazing. What a city must look like, with it's streets of gold. What a building looks like and if there is buildings there. I know that Jesus has gone to prepare a home for us. Is that just a resting place or does it resemble anything here on earth. John 14:1-4 "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going." And we sing the song "I've got a mansion just over the hilltop" that paints the picture of a huge home in heaven. Solomon talks about how this life on earth is "meaningless, chasing after the wind" our true treasure awaits us.

I'm going to miss Helen Foster. Her long talks and her gracious smile. But I know that she's in a better place now, with Van. And I hope she's met up with my dad and they are all friends looking down on us!

No comments: