Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Frustrated

Frustrated is probably not the right word for how I feel, but i get to feel this way from time to time with the Church. You got to remember, I have spent a lifetime in the Church of Christ. I have worshipped with them all, the one cuppers, non-class, class, many cups, no kitchen, kitchen, no pitch pipes, pitch pipes, etc. (isn't that a shame, so many different factions!). I was visiting with some folks the other day about Texas Tech football before the huge UT game. The person was going on and on about how Colt McCoy was a member of the Church! Ok, that's cool and I knew that. Then they went on to tell me that Mack Brown was a member of the Church. Ok, what difference does it make? Are we going to become UT fans just because they have a couple of three folks (don't forget the Shipley kid's a member of the Church too!) that are members of the church? I know that Colt has had an awesome impact on that team. His ethics have been impeccable! And there has been several of his team mates take note. That is awesome.

Then I had a friend to ask me if the girl I was seeing right now was "a member of the Church"! So what if she's not? Am I not allowed to do things with a person of the opposite sex if they are not members of the church?

I have two really close friends of mine that are not "members of the Church". They are probably 2 of the best friends I have ever had. We have all been through very painful divorces. We talk a lot about the struggles of moving on. Should I not hang out with them if they are not members of the Church?

What did Jesus do? Matt. 20:20-28 talks about a mother's request. She wants her two sons to sit at the right and left hands of Jesus "in His kingdom". The woman didn't understand what she was asking. Then Jesus asked "can you drink from the same cup that I drink?" The woman answered "we can!". And indeed they could. But to sit at the right or left hand of Jesus was not His decision. In Christ we are all the same! Jesus went on to say that he did not come to this earth to "be served, but to serve.".

Are you able to follow me here? I get really frustrated with most folks in the Church of Christ because of the feeling of superiority they sometimes reflect. It's like my granddad's church is sticking it's ugly head up again! "We're the only ones going to heaven!". You've heard it! It's the same legalism that had me condemned for many, many years of my life! And it still lives today! Are we here to serve each other in the Church? Are we true reformist? Are we followers of Jesus? Are we followers of Campbell? I wonder sometimes what our message is as a Church?

I know what our message should be! To love and to serve, just as Jesus did! And stop this crazy legalism crap that has so crippled the church! The fact Colt McCoy, Mack Brown, and co., belongs to the Church should not even be an issue. I have known scores of people that were members, or should I say attended services, at a Church of Christ that were not christian. I know that's a bold statement, but I was one of them! I was baptised as a child and thought that if I just made it to service, I was in! That's not at all true!

I am a Christian! I do not belong to a church! I belong to Christ! I have the most wonderful family here in Lockney! We all share one thing! The blood of Christ that continues to flow, YES, IT"S STILL FLOWING 2,000 YEARS LATER!!!!!, for me and you!!!!

Oh yeah! One more thing! That blood will never coagulate as our blood does! It cleanses me daily!

ARE YOU A PART OF JESUS' FAMILY OR A MEMBER OF THE CHURCH?


Thanks for stopping by today!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do ya think ol' Mac & the boys go to church? I hope so but I never had a coach show up in church nor have I ever known a college player to attend.

You have got to be kidding with the bit about the Church of Christ having a feeling of superiority. I thought this went out with the last trip to the moon. For at least the last 30 years it seems most C of C agree that as long as you worship as your religon says (Bap, Meth, etc.) you'll be all right.

Don't get so upset, it'll be ok.