Saturday, November 22, 2008

My Friend Kurt

Kurt is one of my best friends. We have several things in common. We both love farming. We both like to have coffee in the morning. We both procrastinate just a bit in areas of our lives. The most significant thing that we have in common is we're both divorcees. We both woke up one day thinking all was good or "OK" in that category of our lives to find out we were out. "OUCH!" That really stings the male ego. Especially when there are "extra males" involved.

Most of ya'll that have been reading this blog understands that it takes 2 to fail at marriage. I did my fair share to "run my ex off". Let me share a few, just so that you know I share the blame. (I don't know why that's so important to me to share this, maybe to help some of you "guys" stop some of the crap that your wife doesn't like you doing)

1. Worked most of the time
2. when wasn't at work, had fire, chamber, ag committee, EDC, or anything to keep from having to go home.
3. Took vacations alone. (fire school, car races, you name I did it)
4. Never ever made her #1

This is a short list. I could go on but these are the things that started out as little and got big. Take for instance, I'm a volunteer fireman, and we have meeting night 2 nights a month. As if that wasn't enough time to be away for this, my training turned into being gone an extra 6 to 8 nights a year to fire school in Lubbock and Canyon to going to College Station for a week every year and Wichita Falls 2 times a year for a long weekend. Going to the NASCAR races for a 4 day weekend to being gone 5 days twice a year. I could go on here too!

I'm not going to make a lot of excuses here for my actions back then, but most of my traveling was going on cause things weren't just rosy at home. I will never forget about 5 years ago, I told Lori that if we didn't get a handle on things in our marriage that we were headed for disaster. I will never forget her laughing at me.

Kurt still struggles with why his wife left him. Why she would choose another guy over him. She only had 3 extra marital affairs before she finally left for the last guy. (he's not missing much in case you can't read between the lies) There's never ever a time he and I get together that he doesn't bring her up. And if someone else walks up to us that we don't know and we begin to visit, it takes him about 2 sentences to let them know that we're marked men. I told him one time that he might as well go on down to the tattoo shop and get a great big D tattooed to his forehead so that he won't have to talk about it anymore.

Kurt is my friend. I would change the world for him if I could. He's a really good guy that can't seem to move on. I've been thinking now for almost 2 years that some day he will. He's been divorced for a year longer than me!

Keep him in your prayers! Keep us both in your prayers!!!

Thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting to read a man's take on the issue. I have struggled for as far back as ten years with wanting to take to step to end the marriage. In the last few years, the feeling has grown even stronger. I struggle with these feelings daily and it makes for a very depressing life. My thoughts are always on my boys and then the church. I feel for your friend and will keep him in my prayers. Take care.
ssc