Sunday, August 23, 2009

Here we go!

Well, the day is here. I started my preparation class for the LSAT today. I have to be really honest right now, I feel like I'm at the deep end of the pool with my toe stuck in the drain, wishing I could just tread water. I took my baseline test today. The practice test basically sets my baseline so that I can trace my progress. I was both mentally and emotionally drained when I finished the test. I don't think I have ever taken a test as gruelling as this test was today.

The LSAT is not about knowledge. It's about problem solving. And, I really felt that at my age and with my life experiences that I would be more prepared than I was. The positive thing here is I'm in the right place. I chose back a month or so ago to register for the prep class through Kaplan. Kaplan has THE (According to the Harris Poll) highest number of former students that actually got into law school with their test prep techniques. So, with that said, I feel really good about my chances of getting in.

I know that some of you are wondering why law school? Well, I have wanted to do this for quite some time but just never had the guts to "get it done'. And, If I don't at least make an attempt at this, well, I'll go to my grave wondering "what if?". Those of you that know me best know that I'm not a "what if" kind of guy.

The choice was really pretty simple. I'm at a cross roads in my life. My son, Jonathan, asked me a couple of months ago if I was going through some kind of mid life crisis. So what if I am? I was sick and tired of the pressures of selling, burned out is a term most folks choose to use. And I wasn't going to settle for just "finding another job". I thought about nursing school. I do have an interest there but not a "burning"interest like I do in becoming an attorney. I thought about going back to graduate school, in agriculture of course, but what would I do with that? I thought about going to preaching school and going to a mission field somewhere. But my little kids are still school age and I refuse to miss them growing up, so that was out. I spent most of the month of June praying about my decision. Praying like I have never prayed before. Asking God for some direction, and that His will be done.

Another reason for my choice, was to prove that, at 45, I can go back to school. I can have a successful life. I can persevere.

God still in control and He still answers prayers! I know he will guide me with his steady hand through this endeavour.

No comments: