Saturday, August 15, 2009

Think about this......

I was thinking about my post from yesterday. Some where around 874 BC, Elisha was plowing with oxen.

1 Kings 19:19 "So Elijah went from there and found Elisha son of Shaphat. He was plowing with twelve yoke of Oxen, and he himself was driving the twelfth pair."

This is 874, or so, years before the birth of Jesus. Think about that for a minute! My great Granddad plowed with mules some 2,000 years later. Not a lot of progress made in farming in those 2,000 years.

I think what is even funnier, in this story, Elisha junks out his plowing equipment so that he can cook the meat of the oxen and feed the people. Then he left and followed Elijah.

Elisha must have been a large farmer. The story says he was plowing with 12 sets of oxen. Hmm. I wonder how many tractors and how much land that would relate to today? 12 tractors and 10,000 acres?

Just a thought!

No comments: