Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Mountains!


My daughter Sarah and I went up to Costilla, New Mexico this past Wednesday to camp with my friend Kurt and his three kids. There are a few things I learned about myself during the past 4 days.
1. I love hot showers, daily!
2. Being able to shave, daily!
3. Clean toilets.
4. Time with my daughter, priceless!
5. Clean air and few people.
6. Clear night sky with lots of stars!
7. I miss my phone!
8. The internet!
9. Sleeping outside.
10. I missed Lizzie!
Just a few things, I could go on and on here, and this list is not in any order.
I had lots of time to think clearly. It's good for me to get away to think, and clear my brain from the daily worries. I thought about my decision to go back to school and if law school is the right choice for me. I thought about Jesus a lot at night. I was reminded of Luke 6:12.
"One of those days Jesus went out to a mountainside to pray, and spent the night praying to God."
I spent a lot of time in prayer while I was there. Not any more time than I usually do, but just felt closer to God. I guess 9,000 feet above see level will do that for you! Only 6,000 feet closer than I usually am! LOL! I spent a lot of time praying bout my decision. I spent a lot of time praying for my kids, especially the younger two. I prayed that they would understand their dad's decision to go back to school. Some of the sacrifices they will have to make having a dad back in school and being 60 miles away instead of a couple of blocks away. The main thing that I prayed for is that God's will be done in me being back in school, and that His will be done at the completion of law school. I prayed for Kurt and his three kidos. It's tough being a single parent.
We had a big time. We did some hiking. Yes, I hiked! Huffed and puffed is more like it. We fished, didn't catch any, but it was fun. Saw some beautiful country! The mountains in New Mexico are to die for! Ate really well! We took steaks for our evening meals, and had eggs, bacon and sausage for breakfast. Nothing like a meal cooked over a camp fire!
Sarah and I spent some really quality time together. That was really special time for me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As usual, another beautiful blog. You have inspired me more than you could ever know or more than I ever imagined someone could. Your words and references to the bible make me want to open up the bible and read more about what you have written. You are an amazing man that God is using to spread His word to many...me being one! Thank you. K