Saturday, December 27, 2008

2008 Things I'm Thankful Of

These are just a few of the things I'm thankful for this year.

1. My Faith
I have to work on this daily. Putting God first is something I struggle with daily.
2. My kids
Sarah, Lizzie and Jonathan. I gained a daughter-in-law this year, Kirsten, whom I am thankful for also.
3. My Church
I couldn't make it through this life with them.
4. My Job
I have struggled here too this year. My sales have been off. Just part of the life of a fertilizer salesman.
5. My Community
I search for reasons every year why I stay in small town America. It's a way of life, I suppose, that I enjoy. Don't know if I could survive anywhere else.
6. My Home
It's not much, but I like it!
7. My Friends
I have the best group of friends anyone could wish for.
8. Agriculture
I know! It's all I know!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Preston, I continue to hear horror stories of all the high priced fertilizer (The over $1,000./ton stuff) that many dealers bought in August and still have in inventory. Word is they still want the high price for it while the new fertilizer can be had much cheaper from other outlets, around $300./ton, maybe lower. Every farmer I talk with claims they will go without before they spend anywhere close to what they did last year for fertilizer. You are in the business, what is your take on the situation? Was the high price really due to short supply or just plain ol greed?

Preston Belt, From just south of beautiful downtown Hydro, Oklahoma said...

Fertilizer was extrememly short especially in the nitrogen form. Some phosphate was and is being exported on the global market. Most all the forms of fertilizer have come down tremendously. As far as inventories go, I can't get a real good handle on who has what and at what price. Markets always has a way of taking care of it's self. I really don't think greed in any way drove the market.