Tuesday, June 3, 2008

In memory of Donnie Cruse


Just some random thoughts here at, well, almost noon!

I just laid to rest a dear friend and brother. Do you know where Flomot is? In case you don't, it's east of Lockney about 30 miles. "Off the Caprock" most of us say. It is a ghost of a community. Lots of Americana. 2 abandoned gins, an old school that has since been converted to a "community center", a small post office that has a crop insurance agency inside, and 2 churches. The 2 churches are what is keeping the community on the map. One is a Church of Christ the other a Baptist. Just good ole country folks left there.

Donnie Cruse has been my friend for 10 years now. I first met him on a turn row just east of Flomot with his brother Darrell. Farmers and ranchers and true Christian men. Their family is a benchmark for what "family" is all about. They chose to stay behind when many of their friends and neighbors left Flomot to seek success. To etch out a living and raise their children there.

Donnie was diagnosed with cancer about 5 years ago. He took some radiation and chemo treatments. Absolutely hated how it made him feel. He was a lover of the land. A true sportsman in every since of the word. Hunting and fishing with his "boys" and friends is what he lived for. And to teach people about Jesus. The small church where they worshipped was like taking a step back in time. A one room church building, nothing more than a place to worship. I helped them build the baptistry on about 6 years ago. Until then, if you wanted to obey the gospel, you went to a pool of water, either in a near by creek (if it had rained in the past week) or the swimming pool, in either Turkey or Roaring Springs.

Donnie chose a couple of years ago, when the cancer raised it's wicked head again, to bypass the treatments and just live! And Live every day for Christ he did.

There is a message here. I don't claim to know about all of the message. But what I came away with was this. There are only a few things of importance on this earth. Your relationship with God and your family. I haven't always lived the "perfect" life, but who has? I haven't always been the best husband and dad that I could have been. Today is a new day! I just got to make the best of what I do have. I have to continue in this walk with HIM, and make sure that my kids know I love them and that they know who God is and why he sent His son.

2 comments:

TREY MORGAN said...

Hello Preston ... I like the new blog. Glad you're blogging. Sounds like we need more Donnie's in this world. Sorry you lost him, but I'm glad he lived well.

Blessings

Preston Belt, From just south of beautiful downtown Hydro, Oklahoma said...

Thanks Trey. This is one of the best "releases" i have found!

I really enjoy your blog. It inspired me to do the same.