Thursday, June 12, 2008

What A Pretty Morning!

WOW! It is amazing what a cool, calm morning does for the soul! It is very soothing after the past week of 100+ temps and 40 mph winds. Our crops need some relief, but God knows that too. He has always blessed us!

I guess the morning just reminds me of God's grace for us. One of my favorite Grace stories is found in Luke 7:36-5o.

Jesus was invited to a pharisee's house for supper one night. He wasn't really invited over for supper, I think the self righteous pharisee just want to try and condemn Jesus in some way! Get it in your mind that in that day they didn't sit on chairs at the table. In my mind, I picture the table being less that a floor tall. Everyone is at the table for supper. With their feet stuck out behind them leaning on one elbow or the other so that you could eat with the other hand.

Now, a woman enters into the house. By the reactions of the pharisee, she must have been a sinner. (JUST LIKE ME I might add) A woman of the night. Someone that had spent her nights pleasing men. Now, I wonder how the pharisee knew who she was. OK! She comes in, comes to the feet of Jesus weeping. She let her tears fall on his feet. Then she took her long hair and wiped them off. She takes out her most prized possession, an alabaster jar of perfume and began to anoint Jesus' feet with the perfume.

Now the pharisee is just thinking in his mind "does He know who's at his feet?" Jesus turns to the woman and, just as the man had spoken to Jesus, Jesus explains grace. He tells him a story of two men who had owed money, one just a couple of bucks, the other several thousand bucks. And the loan officer forgave both of them for their debt. Which is most gracious of the actions of the banker. Of course the guy who owed the several thousand,

Jesus turns to the woman and continues to speak. "Do you see this woman?" "I came to your house, you didn't offer to wash me feet. You didn't kiss me, and you didn't put any oil on my head." (all customs of the day) "Do you SEE this woman?" I can see her. All I have to do is look in the mirror!

Then Jesus looks at her and says "your sins are forgiven".

By grace, God's grace, Her sins were forgiven!

How cool is that!!!!!!!!

P

No comments: