Thursday, June 26, 2008



Have you ever thought about what this country looked like 100 years go? I have visioned it several times. My great-granddad came to Floyd county horseback in the early 1900's. He left the story behind that when he came up the caprock escarpment that the grass was stirrup high and it would make you see sick the way it waved in the wind.

I have been on a couple of grass fires in the eastern part of the county at night. I sat and thought about what it must have been like 100 years ago when you had a fire. It creeping ever so close. Hoping the wind would change directions or the neighbors would show up to help put it out.

The buffalo in the picture are between Cimmaron and Springer, New Mexico. When we passed them, I again found myself wondering. Thinking about what it must have been like when the buffalo roamed freely.

God is GOOD! He must have known I needed to live in the era I live in. BUT,I often wonder what it was like during the dust bowl, the depression, and the "breaking out" of Floyd county. What the first irrigation well was like. The first cotton grown on the south plains.

Happy Thoughts!

Love you all!

Preston

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice - but where are the blogs for the last part of the month

TREY MORGAN said...

Still enjoying reading your blog!

Anonymous said...

Why are you not blogging anymore?