Sunday, June 8, 2008

Wheat Harvest, Quanah style!

The girls and I went to Quanah this weekend to help with the clean up at her house after the storm Thursday.

As we drove through Goodlett Friday night, I was reminded of harvest time of my youth. All the harvesters or "wheaties" in town for the harvest. I was reminded of one group of "wheaties" that were close to my family. Dale Drohman and his family came to Hardeman county to custom harvest Woodrow Wilson's crop. He always had new Gleaner combines. If I remember right, he worked for Gleaner in the off season in their combine development program. They were from Scott City, Kansas.

As in any small town, when seasonal folks were in town, we all buzzed around to meet them. The girls from Quanah wanted to meet the "guys" that were in town. Us guys just wanted to meet Sherrie Drohman. She was Dale's daughter and worked in the family business as a truck driver. She was our age and "cute". We always went out to Goodlett for the couple of weeks they were here to "drag" main out there and to flirt with Sherrie. We would wait around at the elevator on purpose to just catch a glimpse. It was fun!!! I would get back to the field in our truck and take a tail chewing from dad on "why did it take you so long to get to the elevator and back?". I would reload and right back up there. LOL! It was fun.

Good memories! Good times!!!

No comments: