Wednesday, September 10, 2008

09-11-01

Here on the eve of the 7th anniversary of the worst day in American history, I reflect on the memories of that day. It started like any other day in west Texas. It was a beautiful day. The sun was shining. A heavy dew on the ground. It had been a dry, hot summer and the cotton was very mature for the time of the year. Russ Perkins, who is the Tech Services rep for Bayer Crop Science and a fellow volunteer fireman/EMT from Idalou, and I was looking at a patch of cotton or two to do some defoliation plots on. We had pretty much decided that the cotton needed another week or two to be ready for that. On our way back to town, Mark Nutt called me and asked if I had heard yet about the jet that had crashed into the WTC. We had not heard so we stopped at the D&J Gin here in Lockney to see what it looks like on TV. Still not real sure about what all was going on, as we were watching the TV, the second jet flew into the other tower then the news of the Pentagon. We couldn't believe what we were seeing. The news folks started talking about the other jet that was till missing and that all air travel was suspended. Then we heard the news about United flight 93. It had crashed in rural Pennsylvania, killing everyone on board. Our thoughts immediately went to a friend of ours that was traveling. Jane Dever was a mutual friend to Russ and I. I had worked with Jane at the experiment station in Lubbock while I was at Tech, and Russ worked with her at Bayer. We started trying to call her, in about an hour we finally made contact with her. She was safe and sound in Houston, stranded there, but safe. She was living at the time in Memphis and her husband was on his way to Memphis via his car to get her. Then, I started wondering about my youngest step brother. John travelled with his job. I finally made contact with him. He was safe at home in Lewisville, having his flight cancelled from DFW before it was able to leave. For the next couple of days, we all watched in awe, not believing that someone would do this in the USA. Our hearts going out to the families affected by the tragedy.

We have grown as a nation since that awful day. We are much more prepared for events like this. I complain ever time I go through an airport these days, but after I'm safely on the plane and pulling away form the gate, I remember that day. The price all the people paid that day for stricter airport security. Then I pray, thanking God for my safety. Also thanking Him for allowing me to live in a country that allows me to worship Him without fear.

What have we learned from that day?

1. There is a God. He loves me, and wants me to serve him.
2. Not taking our freedoms for granted.
3. There are people out there that doesn't know God. They have been led down a very unGodly track, not believing He is alive.
4. We have to protect our freedoms. There has been a lot of talk about the Iraqi war, and the war in Afghanistan in the presidential campaigns. How we need diplomacy. I back our current administration in the fight for our freedom. The protection of our rights.
5. We need a strong, courageous, Godly man as president.

I could go on and on here. But I think you get the point.

Never forget how you felt that day. The day our freedoms were attacked.

Preston

2 comments:

Larissa said...

This is kind of off the subject, but are you a cotton farmer? I work at PCCA. I pretty much lived under a rock until I worked here, b/c I didn't realize what a big operation this was.

Preston Belt, From just south of beautiful downtown Hydro, Oklahoma said...

No, I sell fertilizer and chemicals. Yes, PCCA is a huge organization. I used to know some folks over there many years ago. Norma Ritz, I think her hubby, John still works there. Ritz was her maiden name.