Sunday, September 14, 2008

Texas Tech beats SMU

We had a lot of fun last night in Lubbock. The girls and I left Lockney about 1:00 pm yesterday, stopped at the Broadway Brew in Plainview and had refreshments with Kurt and Martha. Lizzie played checkers with Kurt and whipped him! It was fun. We got to Lubbock about 3:00 and went to Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers for a late lunch. Stopped by Tech Outfitters and got the girls jerseys. We went over to the stadium and walked around in Raider Alley for a while. We went up into our seats about 5:00 and watched the warm-ups and all the pregame festivities. Found my friend, David Appling, and visited with him for a bit. Kurt and Martha showed up just in time for the Kick-off. My friend Amy came up with her friend Tonya and her little boy Hunter. They got there with about 5 minutes left in the first half. We had a good time with them. My cousin Kevin's daughter, Maddie, came over and visited with us too. We haven't got to see her in a while. She is a student at Tech. One of my best friends, Jay Foster from Childress, was at the game too, but we couldn't get over to see him and his boys.



I really enjoy the pageantry of college football. The traditions that continue. One of my favorite Tech traditions is the Masked Rider. They have really had to "squeeze" down the activities of the Masked Rider after some accidents of years past. The only time they really get to get the horse out onto the field and let him run is before the game starts. I miss the running after touchdowns. The taking of the reigns in the rider's mouth, letting the horse run along the sidelines, with the rider's "guns up". Another of my favorites were the third down clickers. I still have a couple of those around here somewhere! LOL!


One of the things I got a kick out of last night was the students, there was a group of students along the sidelines that were shirtless, with their upper bodies painted black and each one of them having a letter painted on their chest. "Dunk the Methodist". After the rain Thursday, and the fact that Jones AT&T stadium was dubbed Friday "Jones AT&T Aquatic Center" with over 8" of water on the field Friday morning, I thought it was rather fitting! LOL! I took a picture of it, but it didn't come out at all.


Not many times have tears come to my eyes at a Tech football game. As they played the Star Spangle Banner last night, Tears began to flow. Since the tragedy of 9-11, the song has a whole new meaning to me.
The Moon was absolutely spectacular last night, reminding me that there is a God, and He did create the universe. Giving us things that absolutely no one else could.
All in all, a perfect night for football. I got to spend some really awesome time with my girls, saw some good friends, and had fun!
Tech won the game 43-7
Thanks for reading!

No comments: