Thursday, September 11, 2008

Top 10 small towns In Texas

Well, I just had to write this real fast! I was on yahoo just a bit ago checking my e-mail when I saw this "Top 10 Towns in America". So, I am going to go through a few of my favorites in Texas.

1. Lockney, Texas
Where else do you think would be my #1? Here in Lockney, housing is very affordable, the best people in the whole world, the best church on the south plains, and a unique downtown. We just finished the new sidewalks on main, with the help of a state parks grant. On main street, we have 3 very unique stores: Heart's Desire, a store that has it all, women's clothing, gifts, signs, toys, dishes, everything a woman could ever want! Kaleidoscope, a monogram, screen print shop that you can get all of your Lockney Longhorn apparel. A candle, women's purse store called Heaven's Scent (I think that's the name of it. It just opened!). We still have a full service service station, a lumber yard/hardware store that is second to none, 3 cotton gins, a grain elevator, and me of course.

2. Claytonville, Texas
This town makes my #2 due to it's cafe. I really don't know the name of it but they have the best hamburger in the state! Hand patted meat on a homemade bun! And their fries are hand cut too! On Friday night they have an awesome seafood buffet for $12.00. Claytonville is about 7 or 8 miles east of Kress.

3. Fredricksburg, Texas
I know, it's a far jump from Lockney to Fredricksburg! But the shopping there is great! They have all kinds of stores there! Good restaurants!

4. Canadian, Texas
An awesome town! This little town is nestled up next to the Canadian River and surrounded by beautiful grasslands that gently roll. This town has it all, hotels, bed and breakfast, restaurants, even movie theater!

5. Albany, Texas
About 30 miles or so north of Abilene, Albany is another really cool town. A downtown area that is alive and thriving with many gift shops, and yes, they have really good restaurants there too! In the June, they have Fandangle, a play that the whole town turns out for and participates in. It's setting is at Fort Griffin state park and is a historical production of the area.

6. Buffalo Gap, Texas
The Perini Ranch Steakhouse! Enough said!

7. Lockhart, Texas
There is a little, hole in the wall, Bar-B-que joint there! I can't remember the name of it, but it takes up about 3 store fronts in downtown. They cook all the meat in a brick oven in the wall, and serve you on butcher paper with a chunk of cheese and bread!! Yummy! I haven't been there in over 15 years! Sounds like road trip time!

8. Robstown, Texas
In the coastal bend region of Texas, Robstown is a cotton town! And not just any cotton either! JOE COTTON'S! Many times, voted the best of Texas Bar-B-Que in Texas Monthly, Joe Cotton's is some of the best food in the state. Don't remember much more about the town! LOL!

9. Rockport, Texas
AHHH! Texas bay fishing at it's best! Also, The Boiling Pot is a restaurant that serves boiled shrimp, crawdads, corn on the cob and sausage. They bring it out to you in a pot and dump it out on the table! AWESOME!

10. Tulia, Texas
Ok, this is starting to sound more like a food tour than best towns! The El Camino serves up the best Chili Rellenos you have ever put in your mouth. People drive from miles around just for that!

In case you can't tell, I like good food! There are many other places I like to eat. Coyote Bluff in Amarillo is one of my favorites. The Rib-Eye there is to die for! Hand cut fries, grilled onions, mushrooms, and jalapenos!

Happy eating and feel free to add to my list!!

1 comment:

Eating The Road said...

I loved the Coyote Bluff Cafe!
http://eatingtheroad.wordpress.com/2009/11/16/coyote-bluff-cafe/